WHAT IS SOLAR THERMAL POWER?
Solar energy is collected through solar collectors and the energy is converted to heat. The heat is then used to produce on-site hot water and radiant heat for living spaces. Typically, a heat exchanger is used to transfer heat form the fluid circulating through the solar collectors to potable water – potable water does not circulate through the collectors. Solar thermal systems, especially those used for swimming pool heating, are currently the most cost-effective use of solar energy.
Benefits of solar thermal energy include
- Hot water production is the largest single use for residential energy
- Most cost-effective way to heat swimming pools other bodies of water and residential hot water systems
- Most cost-effective way to heat a building (home or facility)
- Very low maintenance
- Durable and reliable (average Grade A system lifespan is 20-30 years)
- Contributes to energy independence
- Can be used as a back up system to provide hot water and space heating during utility outages